Asparagus is loaded with antioxidants such as vitamin A & C. It also has Potassium , Vitamin K. This spring vegetable is a good source of folate and dietary fiber.
Health benefits of Asparagus:
- reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers
- helps to maintain eye health
- May slow down the aging process
- helps to maintain healthy blood pressure
- aids to build and maintain strong bones
Ingredients for Asparagus paneer poriyal:
- Asparagus – one bunch
- Urad dhall – 2 to 3 tsp
- chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated paneer(cottage cheese) – 1/4 cup – optional
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cilantro or coriander leaves for garnishing
I have used grated paneer/cottage cheese in this recipe, if you are looking for low-fat recipe you can avoid paneer or you can choose low-fat paneer.
- Trim the woody ends of asparagus. chop it into small pieces. Refer the below photo to trim the woody ends
- Heat a non-stick pan or kadai , add little oil , once the oil is heat add mustard seeds and wait till it splutter and add urad dhall and roast till it turns golden brown color
- Add chilly powder and whisk it quickly , throw in the chopped asparagus.
- Sprinkle few drops of water , cover and cook for few minutes
- once the asparagus turns tender, add grated paneer and saute it for few minutes
- Garnish it with cilantro.
This poriyal can be eaten along with rice / roti.
Quinoa is a boon to Vegetarians and Vegans. This Healthy grain is gluten-free and low in fat. It is a great source of protein , Iron, magnesium and Fiber. This is an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans to meet their daily value protein.
Pan Fried Veggie Quinoa is an easy to cook dish. I have used carrot and cabbage. You can include other vegetables like peas, potato.
- Quinoa – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 (medium size)
- carrot – 1
- cabbage – 1/2
- chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- Water – 2 cup
- Lemon juice (extracted from 1/4 lemon) – optional
- Cilantro for garnishing
- oil – 1 to 2 tsp
Pre- Prep : Rinse the quinoa and keep it aside. Chop the onions. Grate the carrot and shred the cabbage. If you are using Peas and potatoes (chopped into small pieces) parboil them.
- In a Skillet / pan combine 1 cup of Quinoa and 2 cup of water/veg. broth. Bring it to boil , cover and turn it to low heat & cook for 15 to 20 mins. Quinoa is cooked when each grain is translucent and its outer ring layer (white germ) is visible. Allow it to cool for 5 to 10 mins and keep this aside.
- In a pan pour 1 tsp of oil , when its heated , add chopped onions once it become translucent , add chilly powder, salt and saute till the raw chilly powder smell is gone.
- Then add grated carrot, cabbage and saute for few mins.
- Add cooked Quinoa and mix it well, pour the lemon juice and mix again
- Cover the pan with lid and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- Transfer the Pan fried Veggie Quinoa into a serving bowl and garnish it with cilantro.
Instead of chilly powder you can add slit green chilies.